Salicylic Acid Skin Peel
|Ingredient name||what-it-does||irr., com.||ID-Rating|
|Salicylic Acid||exfoliant, anti-acne, soothing, preservative||superstar|
|Propylene Glycol||moisturizer/humectant, solvent, viscosity controlling||0, 0|
|Hexylene Glycol||solvent, emulsifying, perfuming, surfactant/cleansing||0-1, 0-2|
|Alcohol||antimicrobial/antibacterial, solvent, viscosity controlling||icky|
Skin Beauty Solutions Salicylic Acid Skin PeelIngredients explained
- It's one of the gold standard ingredients for treating problem skin
- It can exfoliate skin both on the surface and in the pores
- It's a potent anti-inflammatory agent
- It's more effective for treating blackheads than acne
- For acne combine it with antibacterial agents like benzoyl peroxide or azelaic acid
- It's a helper ingredient that improves the freeze-thaw stability of products
- It's also a solvent, humectant and to some extent a penetration enhancer
- It has a bad reputation among natural cosmetics advocates but cosmetic scientists and toxicology experts do not agree (read more in the geeky details section)
Simply alcohol refers to ethanol and it's a pretty controversial ingredient. It has many instant benefits: it's a great solvent, penetration enhancer, creates cosmetically elegant, light formulas, great astringent and antimicrobial. No wonder it's popular in toners and oily skin formulas.
The downside is that it can be very drying if it's in the first few ingredients on an ingredient list.
Some experts even think that regular exposure to alcohol damages skin barrier and causes inflammation though it's a debated opinion. If you wanna know more, we wrote a more detailed explanation about what's the deal with alcohol in skincare products at alcohol denat. (it's also alcohol, but with some additives to make sure no one drinks it).
|what‑it‑does||exfoliant | anti-acne | soothing | preservative|
|what‑it‑does||moisturizer/humectant | solvent | viscosity controlling|
|irritancy, com.||0, 0|
|what‑it‑does||solvent | emulsifying | perfuming | surfactant/cleansing|
|irritancy, com.||0-1, 0-2|
|what‑it‑does||antimicrobial/antibacterial | solvent | viscosity controlling|