10% Ascorbic Acid + 3% Ferulic Acid
|Ingredient name||what-it-does||irr., com.||ID-Rating|
|Ascorbic Acid||antioxidant, skin brightening, buffering||superstar|
|Ferulic Acid||antioxidant, antimicrobial/antibacterial||goodie|
|Artocarpus Lakoocha Wood Extract||antimicrobial/antibacterial, antioxidant, skin brightening|
Skin Functional 10% Ascorbic Acid + 3% Ferulic AcidIngredients explained
Propanediol is a natural alternative for the often used and often bad-mouthed propylene glycol. It's produced sustainably from corn sugar and it's Ecocert approved.
It's quite a multi-tasker: can be used to improve skin moisturization, as a solvent, to boost preservative efficacy or to influence the sensory properties of the end formula.
- Works best between a concentration of 5-20%
- Boosts the skin’s own collagen production
- Fades pigmentation and brown spots
- If used under sunscreen it boosts its UV protection
- Extremely unstable and oxidizes very easily in presence of light or air
- Stable in solutions with water only if pH is less than 3.5 or in waterless formulations
- Vit E + C work in synergy and provide superb photoprotection
- Ferulic acid doubles the photoprotection effect of Vit C+E and helps to stabilize Vit C
- Potent Vit. C serums might cause a slight tingling on sensitive skin
Ferulic Acid (FA) is a goodie that can be found naturally in plant cell walls. There is a lot of it especially in the bran of grasses such as rice, wheat and oats.
FA - whose main job is to be an antioxidant - owes its fame to a 2005 research that discovered that adding in 0.5% FA to a 15% Vitamin C + 1% Vitamin E solution not only stabilizes the highly unstable, divaish Vit C, but it also doubles the photoprotection abilities of the formula.
Couple of other studies show that FA just by itself is also a nice addition to cosmetic formulations: it can penetrate the skin (which is kind of important to do the job) and it has protecting properties against UV caused skin damage.
So if you spot it on the ingredient list be happy about it. :)
|what‑it‑does||solvent | moisturizer/humectant|
|what‑it‑does||antioxidant | skin brightening | buffering|
|what‑it‑does||antioxidant | antimicrobial/antibacterial|
|what‑it‑does||antimicrobial/antibacterial | antioxidant | skin brightening|